Mail.app and other MUAs

Achim J. Latz achim+automx at qustodium.net
Tue May 29 22:27:06 CEST 2012

Hello Patrick:

On 29/05/2012 21:27, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> Mail.app isn't supported at the moment.

Just checked, and entries of the following kind:

<Protocol>
<Type>EXPR</Type>
<Server>qustodium.net</Server>
<LoginName><?php echo $matches[1]; ?></LoginName>
<ASUrl>https://autodiscover.domain.tld/ews/exchange.asmx</ASUrl>
</Protocol>

are "understood" and (correctly) generate a 404 error for
/ews/exchange.asmx. It appears that autodiscover.xml is always read, but
only EXPR triggers a reaction from Mail.app.

All other protocols (IMAP, SMTP, POP) are apparently ignored, at least
on Snow Leopard. Perhaps somebody could check with Lion?

So the list of supported MUAs as per the web page is indeed

+ Outlook 2007+
+ Thunderbird 3+
+ KMail
+ Evolution
+ Kontact

In order to support these two platforms:

? MS Mobiles
? iOS

can you keep the list updated on what you decide with Christian on the
ActiveSync http issue?

And did you test Windows Phone 7 or what does "MS Mobiles" refer to?

 > Our research showed one either
> provides an ActiveSync server or stores an XML configuration template on the
> client side. Storing a file on the client goes against the idea of network
> based configuration and as for ActiveSync we haven't been able yet to figure
> out the bits and pieces that need to be sent to provision an SMTP/POP/IMAP
> server.

Please note that Mail.app does *not* use ActiveSync, but rather Exchange
Web Services EWS), whereas iOS *does* use ActiveSync which can be
emulated with the aforementioned z-push.

While investigating this, I found the DavMail EWS-to-IMAP/SMTP/...
gateway [1] which "provide[s] standard compliant protocols in front of
proprietary Exchange" (read "Exchange appears as IMAP").

In order to be able to use auto discovery for Snow Leopard Mail.app
which in turn requires EWS as demonstrated, we would need just the
opposite ("IMAP acts as EWS").

I will see what I can find.

Best regards, Achim

[1] <http://davmail.sourceforge.net/>