Mail.app and other MUAs

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Tue May 29 21:27:02 CEST 2012

* Achim J. Latz <achim+automx at qustodium.net>:
> Hello list:
>
> In addition to the last post, I was wondering about the status of
> supported MUAs.
>
> As far as I can see:
>
> OK: Thunderbird
> OK: Outlook (not tested, but according to MS Exchange Connectivity)
>
> BROKEN: Mail.app (Version 4.5 (1084) from Snow Leopard 10.6.8, Build 10K539)
>
> It appears that Mail.app sends a slightly different POST request than iOS:
>
> * lacks the header xml version header
> * "outlook" instead of "mobilesync" in xmlns
> * "outlook/responseschema/2006a" in AcceptableResponseSchema (note
> "outlook" instead of mobilesync, and "2006a" instead of plain
> "2006"):
>
> <Autodiscover xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/outlook/requestschema/2006">
> <Request>
> <EMailAddress>achim at qustodium.net</EMailAddress>
> <AcceptableResponseSchema>http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/outlook/responseschema/2006a</AcceptableResponseSchema>
> </Request>
> </Autodiscover>
>

> Neither the PHP script [0] nor automx seem to be able to
> auto-configure Mail.app correctly. Is Mail.app "supported", or what
> is missing?

Mail.app isn't supported at the moment. Our research showed one either
provides an ActiveSync server or stores an XML configuration template on the
client side. Storing a file on the client goes against the idea of network
based configuration and as for ActiveSync we haven't been able yet to figure
out the bits and pieces that need to be sent to provision an SMTP/POP/IMAP
server.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666