Multiple Domain Setup

Ralph Seichter automx2 at seichter.de
Tue Aug 23 20:36:04 CEST 2022

* alexk at kulturserver.de:

> We are working with multiple maildomains that all run on the same
> server, so we would set up an A-Record for autoconfig.example.com and
> use a CNAME to this for any further domains like autoconfig.domain.com.
>
> Should both domains be listed in the automx2 database, even though they
> point to the same server? Or would it suffice if Thunderbird asks
> example.com for data?

While Thunderbird uses DNS lookups to resolve autoconfig.example.com,
automx2 does not use DNS lookups to determine which server names need to
be returned. It will only answer requests based on DB content.

Each domain must be listed separately in the database. The same goes for
each unique server. You can then associate servers with multiple domains
by creating entries in the "*server_domain" tables, i.e. use classic
many-to-many relationships.

-Ralph