subdomains

Sven Hartge sven at svenhartge.de
Wed Apr 11 16:00:48 CEST 2012

On 11.04.2012 15:24, Marc Patermann wrote:

> I have a lot of subdomains.
>
> As far as I understand I need to have an autoconfig entry in DNS for
> every subdomain.
>
> autoconfig.foo.example.com.       IN    A     192.168.2.1
> autodiscover.bar.example.com.     IN    A     192.168.2.1
>
> Do I really need to configure every subdomain in the virtualhost in
> Apache, too?
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>
>   ServerName example.com
>   ServerAlias autoconfig.foo.example.com
>   ServerAlias autoconfig.bar.example.com
>

> I think the HTTP HOST header is not involved anyway, or is it?
> So if the webserver at IP 192.168.2.1 is solely for automx, there is no
> need for all the names, is it?

If this host does not host any other virtual hosts, then: no, you don't
need all the names.

But beware: Outlook insists on using only HTTPs, so you need a valid
certificate with the correct name for _every_ hostname.

Better use of a SRV record in the DNS to redirect all Outlook requests
to only one hostname.

Grüße,
Sven.