subdomains

Marc Patermann hans.moser at ofd-z.niedersachsen.de
Wed Apr 11 15:24:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have a lot of subdomains.

As far as I understand I need to have an autoconfig entry in DNS for
every subdomain.

autoconfig.foo.example.com.       IN    A     192.168.2.1
autodiscover.bar.example.com.     IN    A     192.168.2.1

Do I really need to configure every subdomain in the virtualhost in
Apache, too?

<VirtualHost *:80>

   ServerName example.com
   ServerAlias autoconfig.foo.example.com
   ServerAlias autoconfig.bar.example.com

I think the HTTP HOST header is not involved anyway, or is it?
So if the webserver at IP 192.168.2.1 is solely for automx, there is no
need for all the names, is it?

Marc