Upcoming Glibc changes and DANE support in Postfix, Exim, and perhaps other MTAs

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Wed Apr 15 08:39:07 CEST 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 05:59:51PM -0400, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> but if that is incompatible with other stub resolver libraries on the
> same machine, you may need a private musl-specific configuration file.
>
> My money is on this being unnecessary.  I'll let [you] know what I find
> from dns-operations, and if possible perhaps a RIPE ATLAS probe,
> assuming they support enabling AD=1.

Apparently sufficiently recent glibc supports soliciting and censoring
the AD-bit.

    https://gnutoolchain-gerrit.osci.io/r/c/glibc/+/461/3/NEWS

    * The DNS stub resolver will optionally send the AD (authenticated data) bit
      in queries if the trust-ad option is set via the options directive in
      /etc/resolv.conf (or if RES_TRUSTAD is set in _res.options).  In this
      mode, the AD bit, as provided by the name server, is available to
      applications which call res_search and related functions.  In the default
      mode, the AD bit is not set in queries, and it is automatically cleared in
      servers and the network path to them are treated as untrusted.)

I read this to mean that the new "trust-ad" option, if set, causes the
glibc stub resolver to set AD=1 in queries, but otherwise, causes it to
strip the AD bit from replies.

I don't yet have access to systems with this recent a glibc to confirm
the above, but this is likely relevant to Postfix and Exim
administrators who enable DANE.   You may need to explicitly add the
"trust-ad" option to your /etc/resolv.conf, while of course also making
sure that all the listed nameservers are local (loopback interface).

--
    Viktor.