Update on stats 2019-11

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon Dec 2 19:01:27 CET 2019

On 2019/12/02 12:16, Michael Grimm wrote:
> Hi
>
> Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-dane at dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
>>           Also adoption of ECDSA P-256 (algorithm 13) continues to grow,
>>           and the number of domains using P-256 KSKs has almost reached
>>           parity with RSA-SHA256 (algorithm 8), which is just ahead for
>>           now, but likely not for very much longer.
I run a small ISP in South Africa - with about 2000 domains. About 200
of these are DNSSEC signed. I'm in the process of migrating them from
algo 8 to algo 13. Its all scripted and the conversions are all
happening automatically. *The KSK-ZSK chain has to be complete**through
with at least one common Algorithm.* I also don't want to re-sign
everything at the same time - so everything is spread out over a year. I
keep KSK's for a year and ZSK's for a month.
ZSK's are dealt with totally internally where as a KSK rollover means
talking to the Parent zone and changing DS records - so I'm timing
everything with my KSK's.

When a KSK is due to roll, create both a Algo-13 KSK and ZSK. iUpload
the appropriate DS. Once the new DS record is "seen" (and give it
another day) - then delete the old DS, KSK and ZSK.

The KSK and ZSK signatures are much shorter - so you are less lightly to
be used as a DDOS source for a DNS Denial of service attack (the
amplification is way lower).

*You don't need to increase the Key Size. *

--

Mark James ELKINS  -  Posix Systems - (South) Africa
mje at posix.co.za       Tel: +27.826010496 <tel:+27826010496>

Posix SystemsVCARD for MJ Elkins