DANE for SMTP and TLS certificate agility

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Thu Aug 31 17:55:46 CEST 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 07:36:10AM +0000, Carsten Strotmann wrote:

> Below a little text about TLS certificate agility and some pitfalls
> herein (thanks to Viktor and Patrick for input and review):

Thanks for this post.  Just wanted to mention that the concern
about TLSA records matching only the RSA certificate chain and not
the ECDSA certificate chain of an MX host is not just "theoretical".

I've so far found two MX hosts of live domains that have both RSA
and ECDSA chains deployed, but the TLSA records match only the RSA
chain.  As more users get adventurous and start deploying ECDSA,
this problem is likely to become more frequent, if we don't manage
to raise awareness.  So this thread is a first step in that direction.

A new (improved :-)) DANE scanner I've written in Haskell (the old
one is in Perl) prefers ECDSA over RSA, and so is starting to find
the misconfigured MX hosts that are missing the TLSA RRs needed to
match the ECDSA chain.

Don't forget that even "3 1 1", which matches only the public key
and not the full certificate, still won't match both an RSA and an
ECDSA server certificate, as, of course, the RSA and ECDSA public
keys are different (not only in the raw key bits, but also in the
ASN.1 OIDs that indicate the key type, the DANE TLSA public key
hash covers not only the key and any key parameters, but also the
key type OID).

--
	Viktor.