Aliasing a domain any implications for DNSSEC/DANE

John john at klam.ca
Sat Jan 17 19:00:53 CET 2015

On 1/17/2015 12:31 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>> The only down side that I see is that the aliases will not themselves be
>> using DNSSEC. I am not sure this matters as "real" services will.
> I don't see why this follows.  A CNAME from a signed into another signed
> zone "uses DNSSEC".

"from a signed into another signed" neither klam.biz or .com will be in
themselves signed, they will inherit the signing of klam.ca.
I did wonder about adding both a dname and a  cname for /klam.com /might
work.

Something like:

klam.com    IN DNAME klam.ca    # this handles the subtree of klam.com
klam.com    IN CNAME klam.ca    # this handles klam.com itself

I have not tried it and my guess is that if it even passes validity
checks it will produce unexpected consequences.
In the mean time I will stick to the single zone file for the moment.
Thanks on and all
--
John Allen
KLaM