Aliasing a domain any implications for DNSSEC/DANE

John john at klam.ca
Fri Jan 16 17:59:41 CET 2015

Hi,
this is about half of my original message, it looks as though the moths
have been at it.

### My original message###

I have three domains two of which are effectively aliases for the other
(klam.ca --> klam.biz and klam.com).

++++ poorly expressed klam.ca is my main domain, I would like the other
two to be aliases.

Currently all three zones are DNSSEC signed, klam.ca has TLSA records
for things like the email  system and some web services.
I would like to setup domain aliases  klam.biz and klam.com.

I originally thought of using DNAME records for the domain aliases and
cname records for the TLSA records.

But for this to work I would need  to enable recursion on the
authoritative server. I understand that for very good reasons this is
considered a very
bad idea., therefor I wont go in this direction.

++++ I had this wrong, recursion is not needed.

As an alternative I am considering is using the same zone file for all
three zones. I assume that I would need to turn off maintain and inline
for the alias zones (klam.biz and klam.ca).
But this should mean that I only have maintain one zone file for all
three domains.

Is this the "best" way of  aliasing? What gotchas should I be aware of?

### End of Original ###

### added since ###
I set up klam.biz with a DNAME to klam.ca and then ran the DNSSEC and
ran dnssec-debugger at Verisign which produced a number of errors.
Which I think are related to how (at least my understanding of how)
DNAME work, a DNAME applies to the sub-tree, while DNSSEC is at the
domain level.
taking the example:
klam.biz   IN DNAME klam.ca

DNSSEC will try to find keys for klam.biz NOT klam.ca, which results in
DNSSEC failure.
####

I had not got as far as looking at CNAME for TLSA records yet. I had
thought of using it for WEB services (webdav, davical, ...)

--
John Allen
KLaM