SEMI-OT: Prohibiting RC4 Cipher Suites

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Fri Feb 20 19:54:01 CET 2015

* Stefan Neufeind <dane-users at stefan-neufeind.de>:
> On 02/20/2015 07:26 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > A little off topic for DANE users, but somehow in scope. You might consider
> > disabling RC4 in your servers cipher suite. IETF released an RFC requiring
> >
> >    (...) that Transport Layer Security (TLS) clients and servers never
> >    negotiate the use of RC4 cipher suites when they establish connections.
> >    This applies to all TLS versions.  This document updates RFCs 5246, 4346,
> >    and 2246.
> >    -- Prohibiting RC4 Cipher Suites, https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc7465.txt
>
> How about support (as a fallback) for older clients? How "safe" (no pun
> intended) is it to disable as of today?

There RFC states no fallback should be made:

    If the TLS client only offers RC4 cipher suites, the TLS server MUST
    terminate the handshake. The TLS server MAY send the insufficient_security
    fatal alert in this case.

We've been running large (ISP) sites without RC4 and aNull for more than a
year without any trouble. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to disable both.
YMMV.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG