webserver configuration for multiple domains

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Tue Jan 13 23:26:12 CET 2015

Michael,

* Michael Köhler <ml_automx at controlc.de>:
> I want to set up automx on my web server to resolve request for different domains (for example: domain1.com and domain2.com) but I don´t know how I could set it up in apache2? The problem: I only have one ipv4 address - but do I have to configure many ssl certificates or how could I enable automx for many different domains (esp. https for autodiscover.*)?

that's an interesting question.

I don't know if clients using autodiscover are able to use Server Name
Indication, but with one IP and multiple SSL domains SNI is the best way to
go.

If I were you I would setup SNI
<https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHostsWithSNI> and then I would use
browser to check if it works as expected. Once I verified it works, I'd use MS
Outlook to find out if it works with different domains too. Any MS OS later
than XP and any IE browser older than 6.x (Internet Explorer 7.0 or later (on
Vista, not XP)) should be able to handle SNI.

If it works, send a mail. :)

If it doesn't you may setup automx SSl for one domain. Then use SRV-records in
all other domains to redirect clients to our SSL-enabled automx service. You
might want to follow this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940881/EN-US

Clients will receive a popup notification/warning once they find out they
will be redirected. Users will have to consent via mouse click.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64